Our complaints procedure
If you have a complaint, please contact the head of the relevant department, whose name will be on your initial Client Care letter, with the details. If your complaint concerns the head of the department, he or she will pass it to another partner in the firm to consider.
What will happen next?
1. The person handling your complaint will send you a letter acknowledging receipt of it within 3 working days of us receiving the complaint, enclosing a copy of this procedure.
2. The person handling your complaint will then investigate it. This will normally involve speaking to the member of staff who acted for you and reviewing your matter file with them.
3. The person handling your complaint will then contact you in writing, or by telephone to discuss and hopefully resolve your complaint. If appropriate, you will be invited to a meeting to discuss your complaint. We will endeavour to deal with this stage within 14 days of sending you the acknowledgement letter.
4. In the event that the person handling your complaint has held a telephone discussion or meeting with you, he/she will write to you to confirm what took place and any solutions he/she has agreed with you within 5 working days of the discussion or meeting.
5. If it has not been possible or has not been appropriate to discuss your complaint by telephone or at a meeting with you, the person handling your complaint will send you a detailed written reply including his or her suggestions for resolving the matter within 21 days of sending you the acknowledgement letter.
6. At the stage, if you are still not satisfied, you should contact the person handling the complaint and, if necessary, he or she will arrange for another partner to review the decision.
7. We will write to you within 14 days of receiving your request for review, confirming our final position on your complaint and explaining our reasons.
8. If you are not satisfied with our handling of your complaint you may be entitled to ask the Legal Ombudsman to consider the complaint. Normally, you will need to bring a complaint to the Legal Ombudsman within six months of receiving a final written response from us about your complaint.
If we have to change any of the timescales above, we will let you know and explain why.
Contact details for the Legal Ombudsman are:
Alternative complaints resolution bodies also exist and are competent to deal with complaints about legal services, should both you and our firm agree to use such a scheme at the end of our internal complaints process. They provide Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) services. Small Claims Mediation is one such body, details of which can be found at www.small-claims-mediation.co.uk ; and another is Ombudsman Services, details of which can be found at www.ombudsman-services.org .
Please also refer to the European Commission’s website informing consumers of the existence of the ODR (Online Dispute Resolution) platform and the possibility of using this as a way of resolving disputes. Under the provisions of the EU Directive on Consumer Alternative Dispute Resolution, to pursue this process you would have to be a “consumer”, namely an individual acting for purposes which are wholly or mainly outside your trade, business, craft or profession.
You are also entitled to contact the Solicitors Regulation Authority about us. Please note that the Solicitors Regulation Authority does not deal with issues of poor service which as detailed above should be referred to the Legal Ombudsman. The Solicitors Regulation Authority will consider, for example, any concerns relating to discrimination, dishonesty, taking or losing your money or breaches of their principles. If you wish to report any concerns to the Solicitors Regulation Authority you can do so via their website: https://www.sra.org.uk/consumers/problems/report-solicitor, by email: email@example.com, by telephone 0370 606 2555 or in writing to Contact Centre, The Cube, 199 Wharf Side Street, Birmingham, B1 1RN.
Get in touch
Gorvins Residential LLP
Gorvins Residential is the trading name of
Gorvins Residential LLP